The Visual Narrative MFA at SVA responds to the needs of today’s evolving creative markets by merging the artist and author. It’s an evolutionary process that puts story first and gives you the tools you need to craft your own stories and to help others craft theirs. More than just a degree program, the MFA Visual Narrative program is a school of thought that immerses you in story.
At MFAVN, you will:
- Develop an understanding of what story is and how it functions most effectively when visual and written media merge, by sharpening your writing skills and integrating them into your creative process and professional practice
- Create original works as both author and artist within a supportive and transformative creative community, with visiting artists and mentoring by a top professional in your field
- Connect and collaborate with a professional network in NYC and beyond
- Prepare to compete in creative industries such as advertising, video, gaming, film, animation, sequential arts, illustration, design and more
- Benefit from scholarships and our rolling admissions policy
A select group of artist/authors, we are a diverse, tight-knit community where you learn in small classes and are mentored by top professionals who know how to navigate today’s competitive creative markets.
Part of the extraordinary appeal of the program is that it is low-residency. Three intensive eight-week summer semesters at SVA in New York City give you the chance to connect with your peers and professors, to create in-studio and to absorb the Visual Narrative process. Additionally, you are able to access the myriad of creative opportunities in the city and to build a community of colleagues and mentors that supports and inspires. Four semesters of online coursework, critiques, discussions and interactive projects give you the freedom to pursue your passion and live your life—without uprooting it.
Want to be part of a great community? Join Our Program